Hole in the Wall is a small gap in a natural wall of rock some four hundred feet high. It is located 3.7 miles up a sandy wash/road that takes off of Highway 190 close to Zabriskie Point and Twenty Mule Team Canyon.
The Inn at Furnace Creek in Death Valley National Park was built by the Pacific Coast Borax Company of Twenty Mule Team fame and opened in 1927. It remains a luxurious oasis in the middle of an inhospitable desert. Included on the grounds is a large palm grove that invites one to stroll its paths and enjoy the shade!
Titus Canyon is the most popular back-country road in Death Valley National Park. The road into Titus Canyon begins its 27 mile journey not far from the ghost town of Rhyolite, Nevada and passes by the ghost town of Leadfield. The road is one-way, east to west, except for the last 3 miles on the west end.
Zabriskie Point is one of Death Valley’s most popular viewpoints, especially at sunrise and sunset. Located east of Furnace Creek on Hwy 190, it was named for Christian Brevoort Zabriskie, VP and general manager of the Pacific Coast Borax Company in the early 1900’s when the company’s twenty-mule teams were used to haul borax from its mines in Death Valley. This location was used to represent the surface of Mars in the film Robinson Crusoe on Mars and was also featured in the 1970 film Zabriskie Point.
Badwater Basin is a closed drainage basin in Death Valley National Park that is the lowest point in North America, with an elevation of 282 feet below sea level. The basin is about 7.5 miles long and 5 miles wide. Telescope Peak, the highest point within Death Valley NP at 11,049 feet, is seen in the distance.
Links: Previous related post
Dante’s View is a scenic viewpoint overlooking Death Valley from an altitude of 5,476 feet, located on the north side of Coffin Peak and is considered one of the best photographic spots in Death Valley National Park.
“Scotty’s Castle” (or Death Valley Ranch), is located in Grapevine Canyon in the far north of Death Valley National Park. Construction, in the Mission Revival and Spanish Colonial Revival architectural styles, began in 1922, and cost $1.5-$2.5 million. It is named for Walter Scott, also known as “Death Valley Scotty”, who convinced a wealthy friend (Albert Johnson, a Chicago insurance magnate) to build the house.